Monday 19 May 2008

The Big Elephant in the Room.

One major difference between Islam and Christianity is the doctrine of Trinity. Interfaith dialogue often skirts around the differences and seeks to emphasize the common ground. However Trinity is the big elephant in the room that everyone knows is there but usually are too polite to acknowledge its existence.

Kuwait resident Intlxpatr has a blog in which she raises this issue. There has been a good discussion going on. Check out http://intlxpatr.wordpress.com/ See below for her opening comments.

Trinity Sunday
This was Trinity Sunday, and I hesitate to even bring it up, because it always causes so much misunderstanding between us. No, we don’t believe in three Gods. We believe in one God, who is at the same time Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

I am not a theologian, so what I am about to tell you is just my interpretation of a mystery which has been debated by minds much greater than my own. I tell my Muslim friends that it is like this:
I have a relationship with my husband, as his wife. We communicate in a certain way, we understand one another in a certain way, to my husband, I am his wife.
I am mother to my son, we communicate differently, and he thinks of me as mother.
I am daughter to my mother, and we communicate differently, and she thinks of me as her daughter.
My husband doesn’t think of me as daughter, and neither does my son. I am all three, and yet I am one person.
That is grossly simplified, and God is much more complicated than I can understand. I just wanted you to know, we believe, as Muslims do, that there is one God.
We do not believe God had sex with Mary. We believe Mary conceived by the wish of God, she conceived immaculately, without having had sex. The Angel Gabriel came to her and told her she had been selected, but she could say yes or no, and she said “yes.” Because she said yes, Jesus was born of Mary.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LLOOLLL Andy, I am so IMPOLITE that I mentioned the elephant in the room!

revq8 said...

Dear Adam Pastor
Thank you for your video link. It is well done.

The content though is not original and it basically rehashes ideas from the past which has been rejected by the orthodox mainstream Christian church. Thanks for raising the issue though.